Many of us grew up with blinds that used hanging cords to adjust the amount of light exposure. As a child, you probably played with these cords at least once, rather than using them for their intended purpose.
Almost any household object can become a plaything in the eyes of a child – this one, however, has turned deadly more often than you might think.
The danger of exposed blind cords
A recent study found that a child dies each month of strangulation from an exposed blind or shade cords. Overall, there were almost 17,000 cases of young children under the age of six visiting the emergency room for a bind-related injury between 1990 and 2015.
Proactive steps to eliminate blind cord strangulation
The frightening finding has spurred action on the part of the Window Covering Manufacturers Association (WCMA). The WCMA, which establishes industry standards for window covering manufacturers, has imposed new safety standards that will force these dangerous products out of the market by the fourth quarter of 2018.
The threat still exists
The sale of blinds or shades with accessible cords will not comply with WCMA standards in 2019. Yet, the product itself is not illegal.
While consumers should see up to 90 percent fewer corded blinds for sale in the U.S. and Canada, homes that are already equipped with these hazards still pose a threat.
If you leave your young child with a daycare, pre-school, family member or babysitter, it’s important to ask about the child-proofing precautions in place. A moment’s neglect could easily result in a blind cord injury, outlet electrocution, furniture collapse or chemical exposure if the proper safety mechanisms aren’t in place.
Know your rights
Should your child experience an injury due to the negligence of a responsible person, you should take action. A personal injury lawyer can help you fight for justice when your child has suffered.