A car accident can change a person's life in an instant. If you suffered injuries in an accident, you experienced first-hand how physically, emotionally and financially devastating even a low-speed accident can be. You may find yourself struggling with injuries, damage to your personal property and other consequences that can affect many areas of your life.
It can be helpful for you to learn more about what you can do to protect your interests after a crash. When you know the right steps to take, you will be able to avoid complications, and it can help you lay the groundwork for a personal injury claim. The aftermath of a car accident can be complicated and confusing, but you have the right to purse a full and fair recovery.
At the scene
If you are physically able to do so, there are a few things you can do at an accident that can be useful later. Some of the steps you may want to take at the scene of the accident and in the immediate aftermath include the following:
- Do not leave the scene of the accident before they tell you it is okay. Check on others involved and determine if an ambulance is necessary.
- Exchange information with others involved with the accident, including witnesses who saw what happened.
- Be careful what you say at the scene - people may take what you say and use it as an admission of fault.
Days or weeks later
There are other important steps you will want to take in the days and weeks following the accident. Some of these include:
- It can help to take pictures of the damage to your vehicle, as well as pictures of your physical injuries.
- Keep track of your medical treatment and keep careful records of things like medication and special equipment you may need for your recovery.
- Get an assessment of the damage done to your personal property. Estimates and quotes can help you get a fair amount from the insurance company.
These steps are useful as you seek a fair recovery of your accident-related losses. It also prepares the way if it is appropriate for you to pursue damages through a personal injury claim.
It's not easy to pick up the pieces and move forward after an accident. You do not have to walk through this alone, but you can seek guidance from an experienced California personal injury attorney who can help you understand the legal options available to you.