Accident with an uninsured motorist

Written on behalf of Abramson Smith Waldsmith LLP

If you are in a car accident in California and it is the other person’s fault, his or her insurance should cover your expenses. However, what happens if the other driver does not have insurance or does not have enough to cover all your bills? Uninsured insurance is the best option for getting your bills paid.

What are the chances of you getting into an accident with an uninsured motorist? According to the Insurance Information Institute, around 13% of drivers do not have any auto insurance , even though most states have minimum insurance requirements and there are stiff penalties for getting caught without insurance. This means that you would need to sue the other driver personally to get your expenses covered.

An alternative is to purchase uninsured motorist coverage, which can be quite affordable. This insurance helps pay for the financial consequences, such as property damage and medical expenses, associated with a collision with someone with no insurance. It also covers the difference when the other driver has insurance but the limits are low and they do not cover all your expenses.

According to FindLaw, California requires all drivers to carry liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage, but the minimum limits are lower than in many other states. While uninsured motorist coverage is not a requirement, this insurance can reduce your stress levels in the event you are in an accident. If you do not have this coverage, or if your limits do not cover all damage expenses, speak with an attorney who specializes in motor vehicle accidents.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


(415) 421-7995