The ways a spinal cord injury can change your life

Written on behalf of Abramson Smith Waldsmith LLP

Incredible Attorneys Who Actually Care.

Meet the Team →
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

A car accident can change your life in an instant. It can leave you with injuries and medical bills, both of which are stressful and capable of affecting multiple areas of your life. The aftermath can be particularly challenging for people who are suffering from potentially debilitating injuries, such as spinal cord injuries.

The spine is a part of the body that affects almost every other part. It’s not hard to see how a traumatic injury here can impact everything from fine motor skills to the ability to walk. Some people who suffer injuries to the spine in an accident find that the course of their lives changes and that they will require support and medical care long-term. These injuries can be expensive and overwhelming for a victim and his or her family.

Two main types of spine injuries

There are two main categories of spinal cord injuries, both of which can affect a person’s life in different ways. Every injury is different, and recovery will differ from person to person depending on the location of the impact, the person’s health at the time of the accident and other factors. These two types include:

  • Incomplete – An incomplete spinal cord injury allows for some function, feeling and mobility below the location of the injury.
  • Complete – With a complete spinal cord injury, there is no function, feeling or ability to control movement below the location of the injury.

If you experienced this type of injury, some of the things you may have to deal with could include

  • Loss of movement
  • Lack of control over certain bodily functions
  • Muscle spasms
  • Loss of ability to walk
  • Extensive pain
  • Loss of mobility

The care needed after this type of injury is extensive, and your medical bills can quickly pile up as you fight to get better and improve your condition.

What do you need?

The types of care and support you will need after a serious motor vehicle accident depends largely on where the injury is and how much movement you have. In some cases, therapy and rehabilitation can help a person eventually get back to their normal activities and daily life.

If you hope to seek compensation for the damages you suffered, you will want to remember that personal injury cases are time-sensitive. It is in your interest to act quickly after a car accident, especially if you have suffered a serious injury. By seeking help as soon as possible, you can begin to fight for what you need to rebuild your life and secure necessary medical assistance.

Jeffrey R. Smith

Jeffrey R. Smith

Managing Partner

Robert B. Waldsmith

Robert J. Waldsmith

Partner, 1999

William B. Smith

William B. Smith

Partner, 1978

View All Videos

Video Center
01 06

View All Practice Areas

Core Practice Areas


Vehicle Accidents

There are two things to establish in any motor vehicle accident case: the cause of the accident (fault) and the full cost of the injuries and losses. As we prepare your case, we will investigate both of these.


& Serious Injuries

People suffering from a brain injury, spinal cord injury or other severe injury will require extensive medical treatment, rehabilitative therapy and other long-term care.


Abuse & Molestation

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.



Claims related to sports and recreation injuries can be complicated. These cases often include issues involving waivers and the “assumption of risk” defense.


& Spine Injuries

When you or a loved one suffers a traumatic brain injury (TBI), life changes dramatically. Even mild TBIs can lead to years of recovery and rehabilitation.


Practice areas

The personal injury attorneys at the law firm of Abramson Smith Waldsmith LLP have more than 100 years of combined experience guiding clients through the legal process.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


(415) 421-7995