Was your spouse injured in a distracted driving accident?

Written on behalf of Abramson Smith Waldsmith LLP

As a driver in the state of California, you know that the roadways can be a dangerous place. From the highways to the inner city, there is no way of avoiding other vehicles. There are always people on the road, many of whom don’t care about the safety and well being of others.

Making matters worse, distracted driving continues to be a problem. All types of people, from young drivers to those who have been on the roads for many years, are prone to become distracted while behind the wheel.

If your spouse has been injured in a distracted driving accident, and unable to take steps to protect his or her legal rights, you need to step in and take charge. This is easier said than done, but there are a few things you can do.

First and foremost, learn more about the details of the accident. For example, what type of distracted driving caused the crash? The three primary types include:

  • Cognitive distraction. Also known as mental distraction, this is when drivers are not focused on the road and what’s going on around them. Instead, they are concerned about something inside the vehicle, such as what a passenger is saying.
  • Visual distraction. A visual distraction comes into play when a driver is looking at anything other than the road. This could include everything from a cellphone to a map.
  • Manual distraction. This is when a driver removes one or both hands from the steering wheel. A common reason for this is to answer a text message or take a phone call.

As you learn more about the details of the accident, it’s a must that your spouse receives the best possible medical treatment. Along with this, keep comprehensive notes on the type of treatment received and what doctors are suggesting for the future.

Nobody thinks they will be injured in a distracted driving accident, but this could happen at any time. You may find that your spouse has been involved in this type of crash and that this person needs your help to make a recovery. By taking the right steps at the right time, you can increase the chance of making things right, often through the filing of a lawsuit against the negligent party.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


(415) 421-7995