An Excellent Reputation
Built On Success In The Courtroom
Nothing is more important than recovery and compensation for your loved one after a severe injury.
We Understand The Complexities Of Sports & Recreation Injuries
Part of the attractiveness and beauty of California is the many recreational and sporting opportunities it offers on playgrounds and waterways, in city parks, in gyms, in forests and in mountains. Unfortunately, with these sporting and recreational activities comes the potential for serious, life-altering injuries.
Claims related to sports and recreation injuries can be complicated. These cases often include issues involving waivers and the “assumption of risk” defense. The attorneys at Abramson Smith Waldsmith LLP have helped clients obtain fair compensation in these types of cases for more than 30 years. We know how to hold negligent parties accountable in sports and recreation accidents involving:
- Cycling, whether training for a road race or commuting to the office
- Golf, including accidents and injuries suffered on the links
- Water sports such as swimming, diving, water skiing, boating, cruise ship activities and whitewater rafting
- Skiing and snowboarding
- Team sports, including football, baseball and basketball
- Trampoline park and bounce house
Did You Sign A Waiver Or Release?
The signing of a waiver or release does not necessarily prevent you from advancing a case. Our attorneys have successfully challenged the enforceability of releases that were poorly written, hard to read or extremely one sided.
Injured athletes are often forced to sign a release or waiver of liability before participating in a sports. Do NOT assume that you do not have a case just because you signed one of these forms. The law strictly interprets these agreements against the person or entity that made you sign it. We can explain more based on the unique facts of your circumstances.
What Is Assumption Of Risk?
The “assumption of risk” defense presents a serious obstacle in most of these cases. Here is a common example — a skier assumes the inherent risk of colliding with another skier. Therefore, the resort does not have a duty to protect a skier from that risk. When a groomed run leads to a cliff and there is no warning, however, the resort may have breached its duty of care.
In sports and recreation injury cases, quick action is required because conditions can change. One of our attorneys can launch an early investigation to build the strongest claim on your behalf.
A Results-Oriented Legal Team
Here are several examples of cases we have resolved:
- $27.75 million jury verdict after a diving accident left a 20-year-old state diving champion quadriplegic — the largest verdict in the history of the county. The city rented its diving pool to a diving team and a synchronized swimming team to hold practices at the same time. No measures were taken to separate the two activities. As a result, our client collided with a synchronized swimmer during diving practice. Now, the pool uses floating lane lines to separate the two activities.
- $1.7 million settlement for a skier who suffered serious, permanent leg injuries after skiing off a man-made cliff at a ski resort.
- $850,000 settlement for a high school football player who suffered a brain injury.
- $671,000 wrongful death jury verdict for a tenting accident.
We also have successfully litigated against public and private building owners and insurers of unsafe properties, including parks and playgrounds, health clubs, amusement parks and swimming pools.
Do Not Wait — Call Us Today
When negligent or reckless conduct causes a sports or recreation injury, we are here for you and your family. Learn how our San Francisco lawyers can help by scheduling a free initial consultation. Call 415-325-2535 or reach us online.